Pastoral Council Minutes, April 20th, 2021:
Present: Dixie Jacobs, Phil Paladino, Father Doug Wathier, Wayne Green
Zoom: Kelly Flege, Jeff Keen, Elaine Lawler, Trent Lockard, Jenne Seward, Jennifer Siech
Not present: Kris Dunkin, Ruth Schluter
International: $1,000 to CRS Rice Bowl
After discussion, Kelly made a motion to approve the tithe recommendations, seconded by Jenne, and approved by council.
After discussion Jenne made a motion to accept the 2021/2020 budget, seconded by Jennifer, and approved by council.
Finance Council Meeting – Apr 20, 2021
Attendees: Kelly Flege, Joe Barber, Becky Willson, Becky David, Scott Danner, Fr Doug Wathier. Also present: Dixie Jacobs, Deacon Phil Paladino
Began meeting with Our Father.
Monthly Financials: Offertory was strong in March, and we also saw a significant increase in in-person attendance. If the offertory continues at current level, the offertory should end close or on budget for the fiscal year. The 1st PPP forgiven loan has compensated to the reduced income, so income overall is on budget. The utilities and other expenses are still running below budget. We expect to end the year better than budgeted due to the PPP and the reduced expenses.
Update Roof Vent & North Automatic Door: The vent has been installed and the crew did a good job cleaning up. The north automatic door mechanism has been replaced with a heavy duty version. It is significantly stronger, and is working better with strong winds buffeting the door.
Budget 2021/22: The proposed budget includes:
Transfer to Savings: We have $146,500 in checking. Joe made a motion to move $80,000 from checking to unrestricted savings; Scott seconded the motion. The motion passed unanimously.
New Finance Members: The bylaws will be reviewed to determine if two terms or 6 years is the maximum members can serve. This will be emailed out, and the council will work on balancing the terms so no more than two members’ terms end per year.
NCYC Update: 19 teens, 4 chaperones and a staff member will attend NCYC this Nov. This is a significantly shorter signup, planning and fundraising schedule due to the delays related to pandemic. The fundraising is going well. The budgeted parish support of this event will be sufficient.
Phase 2 Update: A parish mailing with an update was mailed every parishioner a couple weeks ago. A proxy has been sent to the Archdiocese requesting permission to interview architects and fundraising companies. The committee is waiting on the approval of these proxies.
Meeting adjourned. Next meeting May 18. Agenda – monthly financials, discussion of members’ terms and potential finance council members, staffing/hiring update, Phase 2 update.
May Faith Formation Commission Meeting (5/4/2021)
Angie Beck, Father Doug Wathier, Wayne Green, Bill Flege, Jennifer Nus, Becky Prostine, Mariah Stauffer, Terri Cruise
Social Justice Meeting Minutes, May 10, 2021 @ 7:00 p.m.
The Peace and Justice Committee seeks to mobilize the St. Mary community to care for the
poor and marginalized in the name of Jesus through the lens of our Catholic faith.
Present: Becky David, Phil Paladino, Wayne Green, Lindsey Kuhlmann, Jan Kriener, Ted Mulert, Mollie Muntefering, Val King
Opening Prayer at 7:05: Mollie
Feeding America - $500
Guiding Star - $500
c. Ted will begin updating the”Scheduled Quarterly Tithe Designation” list. We will review in light of insights gained through our discussion of “Toxic Charity.”
Business meeting ended at 7:50 p.m.
Book discussion from 7:50 to 8:35 p.m.
Promote kindness to neighbors.
Develop criteria to evaluate organizations we support (what are outcomes, how measure outcomes, percentage of dollars to administration). See Oath, pages 96-97. Page 138and 183.
Give more to fewer organizations.
Ted to update list
Becky to share notes
Jan will research World Vision and report to group next meeting
All jot down possible questions we want to use to evaluate organizations.
Closing prayer: Mollie
St. Mary Parish Life Committee Meeting Minutes - April 9, 2021 7PM
Present: Amy Price, Jan Kriener, Helen Melichar, Gerri Dix, Liz Poock, Teresa Moerer
Amy opened with a poem and a prayer.
Review of March minutes: Amy led the review of the March minutes. No corrections or additions.
New Parishioners: There have been a couple since last month. Each month Gerri will be asked to report on the number and the names of new parishioners. Mary Jo is working on this with Gerri. Pictures in bulletin are not advised…some new parishioners may not want this. Amy shared a newcomer bag that could be used to put various items in for them. Possible items are the latest bulletin, book mark, church magnet, Rosary with handouts, time/talent information and maybe a tea towel.
Easter: Successful event. 60 eggs with peeps and sealed candy were handed out..also had filled plastic bunnies. All candy was donated. Volunteers wore bunny ears.
Rosary Group: Jan and Teresa reported that some progress has been made. The copyright issues have been resolved. Rosary group information is on the website. Gerri will add a facebook presence once or twice a month. Any further ideas for sharing ..please contact Teresa, Jan or Gerri. There will be a Rosary Rally in October. Possibly one will be the second weekend in May..May 8 on St. Mary grounds. A shrine to Mary will be set up in the church hall by Mother’s Day weekend. Teresa will check with Angie about possible religious ed activity. Jan will speak at the May 1-2 Masses to promote. Gerri will do a flyer to put in the April 24-25 bulletin (We added it to the front of the bulletin – gmd).
Phone Pals: Jan K., Nancy C. and Ruth S. along with Gerri are involved with this. Feedback has been good. Gerri asks that callers report back to her.
New Babies: Pictures of new babies are in the bulletin when baptized. Currently onsies are given to babies who are baptized. This will be changing as soon as all the onsies are given out. We will possibly go back to bibs that are embroidered.
Parish Directory: Hopefully a fall activity. Due to Covid, the process may be quite different than it has been in the past. At this point Gerri is not sure what the process will be.
Grieving Families: Support will possibly be given through Hospice. Hospice is reaching out to the churches. The church office needs to know of family members of any parishioners have passed, even if the family member is not a member of St. Mary. It was suggested that a sentence or two be put in the bulletin about getting this information to the office. There have been some condolences listed on facebook -this is helpful, and also needs to be listed on the webpage.
Plans for the Future:
Hospitality: Much depends on COVID, but we need to plan and be ready to go as soon as we are free to do so. Amy is willing to work on hospitality…possibly welcome new members once a month, recognize birthdays once a month. Possibly have food from 9-9:30 to pull from the 8:00 and the 10:00 Masses. We need to think about ways to unite the parish.
Summer: Hopefully by fall we will be able to have picnics and /or game nights. We need to do brainstorming and planning now.
Winter: Molly does the planning for caroling. Discussion is needed on how to involve more people. Can we figure out a way to involve family in cookie decorating as a family activity?
Masses are getting fuller. There was a discussion of the problem of getting people back to Mass in person after the COVID livestreaming.
We will meet in May, skip a meeting in June and will plan a meeting in July. If needed, we can also meet in August.
Amy closed the meeting with a prayer. Next meeting date: Thursday, May 13, 2021 7PM